Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Full metadata record
DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorNanthavut Niyomvongen_US
dc.contributor.authorWasu Pathom-Areeen_US
dc.contributor.authorArinthip Thamchaipeneten_US
dc.contributor.authorKannika Duangmalen_US
dc.description.abstractThe cultivable actinomycetes from tropical limestone caverns at Khao No-Khao Kaeo karst, Thailand, were investigated. In total, 276 actinomycetes were isolated from 10 soil samples using different selective isolation procedures. The predominant actinomycetes from all samples were members of the genus Streptomyces (94.6%) as they contained LL-diaminopimelic acid (A 2pm) in their whole cell hydrolysates. The remaining 15 isolates (5.4%), rich in meso-A 2pm in whole cell hydrolysates were characterized by 16S rRNA gene sequencing. They were shown to represent strains from 8 different genera namely Actinomadura, Actinoplanes, Gordonia, Microbispora, Micromonospora, Nocardia, Nonomuraea and Saccharopolyspora. A good agreement was found between the results based on morphology, presence of meso-A 2pm and 16S rRNA gene phylogeny. Microwave treatment of soil samples was found to promote the isolation of rare actinomycetes. Successful isolation of members of the genus Actinomadura and Saccharopolyspora from caves was reported for the first time. This study confirms significant diversity of cultivable actinomycetes from neglected habitats such as limestone caves in Thailand.en_US
dc.subjectBiochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biologyen_US
dc.subjectMaterials Scienceen_US
dc.subjectPhysics and Astronomyen_US
dc.titleActinomycetes from tropical limestone cavesen_US
article.title.sourcetitleChiang Mai Journal of Scienceen_US
article.volume39en_US Universityen_US Mai Universityen_US
Appears in Collections:CMUL: Journal Articles

Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.

Items in CMUIR are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.