Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://cmuir.cmu.ac.th/jspui/handle/6653943832/51095
Title: Efficacy and safety of 1-month postpartum zidovudine-didanosine to prevent HIV-resistance mutations after intrapartum single-dose nevirapine
Authors: Marc Lallemant
Nicole Ngo-Giang-Huong
Gonzague Jourdain
Patrinee Traisaithit
Tim R. Cressey
Intira J. Collins
Tapnarong Jarupanich
Thammanoon Sukhumanant
Jullapong Achalapong
Prapan Sabsanong
Nantasak Chotivanich
Narong Winiyakul
Surabon Ariyadej
Annop Kanjanasing
Janyaporn Ratanakosol
Jittapol Hemvuttiphan
Karun Kengsakul
Wiroj Wannapira
Veerachai Sittipiyasakul
Witaya Pornkitprasarn
Prateung Liampongsabuddhi
Kenneth Mcintosh
Russell B. Van Dyke
Lisa M. Frenkel
Suporn Koetsawang
Sophie Le Coeur
Siripon Kanchana
Keywords: Medicine
Issue Date: 15-Mar-2010
Abstract: Background. Intrapartum single-dose nevirapine plus third trimester maternal and infant zidovudine are essential components of programs to prevent mother-to-child transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in resource-limited settings. The persistence of nevirapine in the plasma for 3 weeks postpartum risks selection of resistance mutations to nonnucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs). We hypothesized that a 1-month zidovudine-didanosine course initiated at the same time as single-dose nevirapine (sdNVP) would prevent the selection of nevirapine-resistance mutations. Methods. HIV-infected pregnant women in the PHPT-4 cohort with CD4 cell counts >250 cells/mm3received antepartum zidovudine from the third trimester until delivery, sdNVP during labor, and a 1-month zidovudinedidanosine course after delivery. These women were matched on the basis of baseline HIV load, CD4 cell count, and duration of antepartum zidovudine to women who received sdNVP in the PHPT-2 trial (control subjects). Consensus sequencing and the more sensitive oligonucleotide ligation assay were performed on samples obtained on postpartum days 7-10, 37-45, and 120 (if the HIV load was >500 copies/mL) to detect K103N/Y181C/G190A mutations. Results. The 222 PHPT-4 subjects did not differ from matched control subjects in baseline characteristics except for age. The combined group median CD4 cell count was 421 cells/mm' (interquartile range [IQR], 322-549 cells/ mm3), the median HIV load was 3.45 log1(, copies/mL (IQR, 2.79-4.00 log10copies/mL), and the median duration of zidovudine prophylaxis was 10.4 weeks (IQR, 9.1-11.4 weeks). Using consensus sequencing, major NNRTI resistance mutations were detected after delivery in 0% of PHPT-4 subjects and 10.4% of PHPT-2 controls. The oligonucleotide ligation assay detected resistance in 1.8% of PHPT-4 subjects and 18.9% of controls. Major NNRTI resistance mutations were detected by either method in 1.8% of PHPT-4 subjects and 20.7% of controls (P< .001). Conclusions. A 1-month postpartum course of zidovudine plus didanosine prevented the selection of the vast majority of NNRTI resistance mutations. © 2010 by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. All rights reserved.
URI: https://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?partnerID=HzOxMe3b&scp=77749282888&origin=inward
http://cmuir.cmu.ac.th/jspui/handle/6653943832/51095
ISSN: 10584838
Appears in Collections:CMUL: Journal Articles

Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.


Items in CMUIR are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.